© 2010 GREY LIKES WEDDINGS. All Rights Reserved. A SITE BY DL/SH DESIGN.
Apr11 Introducing Kelly 2013
She’s here!!! Our second blogger bestie Kelly is here to tell us stories and allow us some insight into her impeccable taste in everything! I wish I could describe her…she’s like a tiny salt shaker that you would like to take everywhere you go, to sprinkle flavor and inspiration on everything ordinary. You’ll love her too!
Photo by Michelle Kim Photography
I’m Kelly. 36, prego with my first.. and who knows, possibly only child. I’m married to a dear, dear man and my best friend CJ. We are over the moon about our baby girl arriving this May [more on that in a moment], and are thrilled to share the journey of the arrival of our daughter and what we learn raising a brand new human being.
Five miscellaneous but important[ish] details:
1. I am no expert on birth, mothering or any related products or services, but have become an avid researcher of all of the above… so perhaps some of the things I’ve discovered will be helpful [or at least amusing] to one or two of you reading this.
2. I definitely lean towards the natural end of the spectrum when it comes to all this baby stuff.. so I’m doing my best to keep life in our home simple, creative and home-made.. that said, we plan to deliver in a hospital vs. birthing tub and when it comes to the great debate of whether or not to accept things like an epidural, my answer is: ‘I want to do this as naturally as possible, but if I’ve been in labor for 25 hours and am at the end of my rope, I plan to exercise my right to change my mind. Shame free.’
3. I LOOOOVE well designed spaces and repurposing lovely old things… so stay tuned for future posts about what I’ve decided to do in the nursery.
4. We are due on the festive holiday of Cinco de Mayo. I cannot tell you how badly my husband and I hope our baby girl arrives on her actual due date… can you even imagine the endless party theme potential of a lifetime of Cinco de Mayo birthdays?
Plus, if we ever run out of time to plan, we can always just walk her to the park and point to all the piñatas and tell her…. THIS… is ALL for you!! Happy Birthday!!!
But seriously, WHAT are the odds of a baby actually being born on her due date?
I Googled it.
According to my ‘sources’ [which range from Yahoo Answers to various pregnancy resource websites, the number ranges from 2-5%
Hmm.. not the best odds, but a girl can dream, right?
5. It is my sincerest pleasure to be a contributing writer for Grey Likes Baby… First because it forces [ahem, allows] me to document some of the thoughts and feelings I know I’ll want to reflect upon later. Second, it gives me a chance to meet and interact with the greater community of marvelous mothers who have paved the path before me.
So much more to come.
Until next time…
Nov29 Homemade Advent Calendar 2012
It’s almost December 1st, which means the start of the beautiful advent calendar tradition. If you are looking to make your own, this one is such a precious idea from Shim & Sons.
First you can purchase craft boxes and use Martha Stewarts rub on transfer numbers, or just use stickers with a cute printout of the numbers.
On some days the kids will open the box and receive and small little toy.
On other days the kids will open the box and find a fun family activity planned for the day. I LOVE this idea. Maybe you could add a little peppermint candy to add to the excitement.
Nov20 Thanksgiving tradition 2012
Can you believe that Thanksgiving is almost here!!! I can hardly contain my excitement. I am going to let you in on a little Watkins family tradition. We always go around the table and say what we’re thankful for, and it generally involves plenty of tears as we are a family of four girls. At the end of it we open up THE VAULT (which is a manilla envelope taped shut) and pull out our time capsules (a scrap of paper folded and taped).
Here’s how it works, after we say what we’re thankful for, we write down what we hope we will be thankful for the next year. Then we fold it up with the rest of our time capsules and lock it up to be opened the next year at our Thanksgiving table. We started the tradition when I was in high school and it’s fun to look back over all the things I was hoping would happen: surviving high school, college and grad school, hoping to be engaged, hoping to buy a home, praying for the health of my sister babies that were on the way, and always praying for health and joy for my entire family. It a lovely tradition and I will pass it along to you to enjoy as well.
Thankful Poster can be purchased on Etsy
Thanksgiving Table Photo Credit: FLICKR
Oct28 HIPPIE mom: Halloween Edition 2012
I know that we are all fleeing our houses in panic (for those of us who procrastinate) purchasing all the last minute candy needed to pass out to the masses of trick-or-treaters that will be filling up our streets in a few short days. But before you do so, think before you buy. As you may or may not know, much of the chocolate that comes in the masses in America is farmed by forced child labor in Africa (get the skinny HERE). If you are interested in making a choice that rejects the practices held by most mainstream chocolate companies, we recommend you purchase fair trade or organic chocolate products.
In an effort not to be Debbie-downer, here are some ideas given by Kristen Howerton of Rage Against the Minivan, on some candy ideas that will be perfect for your kids and all those crazy trick-or-treaters.
Find all the product pricing details and availability here on Babble in an article written by Kristen Howerton.
Oct20 Sweetest Day 2012
Today is Sweetest Day. When I think of Sweetest day I think of this:
Girlie things, pink, lace, sparkles, cake…we are the sweetest aren’t we?
But it’s actually about appreciating the people you love, and giving them candy. Apparently it’s mostly known in the midwest areas so this is my first time hearing of it. I love the idea because I obviously love candy. So go do it!!! Get some candy and give it to the people you love, and if you love me send me candy!!!
Also, if you’re supermom you can make your own candies which would be extra special. You can find a tutorial on how to make these wonderful peppermint patties HERE.
Photo Credit: 1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // Peppermint Patties